Friday 26 September 2014

For Sale/Trade: NYC Twin Towers WTC Memorabilia (vase)



I definitely did not start this blog with the intention of it being a commercial venture. In fact, I doubt I'll be selling anything else via this blog again. But when you find something as cool and collectible as this, well, it's hard to resist temptation.

I found this New York City World Trade Center (WTO) pineapple-shaped bud vase at Brockiland today. It shows the twin towers painted proudly on the front.



I actually picked it up because I love this colour combination of Delft-blue and turquoise. (If it doesn't sell, it can hang out forever in my kitchen because it matches my colour scheme perfectly!).

I remember that awful day like it was yesterday. Urgh. 9/11 - A day that should not be forgotten! This vase is a pretty stark reminder of what was... and it's pretty, too. If you're interested, read on and comment below (leave an email address I can reach you at. I won't publish your comment, but I will read it!).

The details:
  • It's not in perfect condition. There are three locations where it is chipped, two of which have been repaired (more or less). Two are on the top edge, and one on the bottom. There's also a tiny flaw in the porcelain (not a chip, but I think it was there at manufacture), just above the "W" in New.
  • There's no maker's mark on the bottom, or anywhere that I can see. To be perfectly honest, I think it was cheaply made in the first place - this is really more about affordable memorabilia than resale to a serious collector, FYI. :) There's a couple of glazing flaws and stuff like that - again, it would be for your own collection, and probably not all that suitable for professional resale.
  • It's approximately 12cm tall, and a little over 5cm at it's widest point. (4.72" tall, about 2" across at the widest part).
  • I don't see anything else like it on Etsy, so please make me a reasonable offer, and it's yours (shipping by mail or courier isn't cheap from Switzerland, but as long as I'm not losing money on this, I'm content! We'll work it out!). Otherwise, I'm quite happy to hang onto it. It's adorable. :) Please don't be high-maintenance, or mistake me for some sort of business/professional antiques dealer. I'm really not, and I'll take no B.S. at all from anyone. It's 'garage sale' rules - buyer beware, no refund, no exchange, no griping. Honest dealing or none at all. :)
  • Trades strongly considered! :D Heck, it's easier than currency exchange! I like all sorts of stuff: vintage linens, ladies clothing, accessories, costume jewelry... let's see if we can swap. :) I'm also in the market for a few yards of red gingham (with which to make a full, old-style long skirt, prairie-style... actually, it's for a dirndl, if you know what that looks like). :)




(Click on any photo to enlarge it).
 
Okay, now that that's out of the way, here are the other things I scored from Brockiland today:

It's for mein Mann. Our friend snagged one on our last trip there, and he was envious. Now he has his own laundry-folder! I wonder if it will ever be used....? :)
Finding large enough pillowcases for our monstrous pillows has been hard. I found one orange one (now I just need a coordinating pillowcase to go with it!). I also took a bit of a risk on this 80s/90s metallic-thread detail bat-wing sweater. It was in such good condition (and it fit well), it was too hard to put back. Let's see if I have the guts to wear it, though! And another stylized beer mass, so that we have a pair. One of those things you probably should never buy new (at about 80 Euros apiece!!! Why?! Bet those are made in China, too - our vintage ones come from West Germany. Authentic!).

The other addiction I have is vintage tea towels. Some of the designs and colour-schemes are so different from what you can find today - I find it hard to say no to them! Practical and adorable - hard to argue with that!

Seeing as we eat 90% of our meals on the coffee table (oops - still living like students!), I find these make great substitutes for tablecloths or placemats! Easy to wash, too!
This is by far the strangest and most wonderful tea towel I've ever seen! :)
This one looks as if it was inspired by an acid trip. It's stretchy, too, which is utterly bizarre!

Anyway, that's the haul for today! Let me know if you're interested in buying or trading for my NYC WTC bud vase! Otherwise, I'm going to permanently adopt it. Super cute - loving the colours and shape!

And a head's up - a tentative Thrifting Field Trip is on Saturday, October 18th! If you're interested, come join a small group of us as we raid the local Brocki's for secondhand fashion and other goodies! Comment below if so (RSVP required) - will not be published if it contains your contact info (i.e. email). :)

All the best, Thrifty Hearts!
TiZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)