Saturday 9 May 2015

Best Thrifted Buys, I think

Today I'm going to share with you some of my all-time favourite thrift buys. 

It's not a post where I'm going to brag about what I got (though it can be tempting, ha ha!), but something more useful to you - items (or categories of items) that regularly pay-off for me.

This post on Apartment Therapy got me thinking about best-bets and commonly-found items worth keeping an eye out for: 10 Ways to Upgrade Common Thrift Store Finds @ ApartmentTherapy.com

Some of my favourite thrifted things:

Vintage Airmail Envelopes

Great for the expat, and seriously - there's something so great and retro about their style. They also cost nothing in comparison to what you could by at Die Post or Migros, and are infinitely cooler. I see these often, and I have a decent stash at home now. I'll start leaving the rest for you (for now)! ;)


Vintage Placemats, Tablecloths and Tea Towels

I can't think of any category I like thrifting more than vintage linen. First of all, the quality of some of these things are hard to match nowadays. Secondly, the styling can be to die for. Thirdly, it's a quick way to make-over your kitchen or dining room that doesn't require much monetary commitment (or holes in the wall!).


Monochromatic Plant Pots

Another cheap way to quickly 'redecorate' your living space. I collect matte white plant pots in various sizes and shapes, though round is the preference. I already had some white ones, so it seemed a good idea to go monochrome (and minimalistic). But if you can swing blush and beige 80s tones in your decor, there's an entire shelf at Brockiland calling your name. I like how they sort the pots by colour. Brockiland (both) and the Salvation Army have loads of plant pots on offer year-around. You could also choose multiple coordinating colours to match your decor.

Vintage Bed Sheets

Like Melissa at Tiny Happy, I love the softness and colour-ways of vintage bedding. I also like it as a source of sewing fabric - it's usually larger than the fabric in the craft section, and it often costs less. And it's cotton, so... win-win!


Pins and Needles

You'd be amazed at how many 3/4 full sewing needle cards there are at thrift stores, and how little they cost compared to new packages! And they are still new, usually! I've found almost completely full needle cards, and I've paid for them in small (very small!) change. Sewing supplies in general are routinely a good thing at thrift stores. Pattern books, too.

Books, of course

I didn't have time to scour the shelves at Brockiland on my last visit, but I almost always find something worthwhile when I do (though it takes a long time!).

Stemware and Cookie Cutters

For some reason, we break a lot of wine glasses. I think it's more to do with them drying on the drain try (they don't go well in our dishwasher) than it is from over-indulgence, but who knows. True, I don't have a matching set (at present), but I can usually get 4 of a kind at Brockiland for peanuts. I can always find a pair at the least. Cookie Cutters are one of those things that haven't really changed in the past 50 years, though their designs have. You can find some really interesting shapes and you don't have to pay francs to get them, either.


The Unexpected

This miscellany category gets special mention because it's one of the great joys of thrifting. Most of the really awesome stuff I've stumbled across were not things I was actively seeking (Le Crueset casserole, woven-seat hallway stool, a trench coat, a Swiss Army Blanket, my favourite bud vase in the whole wide world, a pair of soft leather flats, etc.). If it wasn't for the unexpected awesome find, thrifting would not be the thrill that it is. And, my goodness, it needs to have some thrill, otherwise a clean, tidy and pleasant shop of new items would win every time! As cheap as I am, I'll pay to avoid the chaos and dirt that is the thrift store (at times)! But the thing about your average store is that it contains average things, and most stores carry the same or similar items. If you want something interesting, you've got to go back-in-time to find it, sometimes! :)

My all-time favourite vase :)


Ah, thrifting! It takes practice, doesn't it? If you're new to Thrifting, check out my tips and tricks in earlier posts to shorten that learning curve! It can be frustrating in the beginning - you have to develop a knack! (And patience, but I don't have it, so clearly it's not a strict requisite!).

- TiZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)