Friday 3 July 2015

A new little Brocki on the 304/308 bus route

UPDATE: January and February 2016 - I believe the store has now closed, either permanently or for renovations, but it looks as if it is being outfitted for another use. Will update when more information is available

 

If you're travelling between Zürich and Dietikon by bus (#304 or 308), you might consider making a stop in Unterengstringen, the village with the BP Station.

There's a new little Brocki I had the chance to check-out, thanks to a sandwich board announcing the "Neues Eröffnung". 
 
Closest bus stop: Langacher (between Langacher and Paradies), white building just past the BP Station.


The small Brocki has quite a bit of women's clothing and shoes and accessories, despite its small size. It also has a considerable assortment of baby clothes and toys, and some home decor items, two of which I purchased (vintage wool throw-cushion pillow cases, 2 for 10 Fr.).

The lady who runs the store is Turkish (I think), and both her and her mother are very friendly and warm. 

The downsides are that the store is poorly laid-out and cluttered (though aren't they all), and that the owner has a propensity for putting tags with handwritten "original retail prices" on them.... which are ludicrously inflated. You'll see what I mean if you go. :)

The actual price of the items in the shop are very reasonable and quite competitive, so I see no need to boast about the original price being so extraordinarily (and unbelievably) high. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I hate this sort of style. I liked the lady, however, so I'm willing to politely ignore the spin-doctoring!

So, the Pros and Cons and Tips (it's been awhile since I last reviewed a shop!):

Pros:
  • Friendly owners 
  • Reasonable prices
  • Surprisingly good selection of women's clothing, shoes and accessories
  • Quite a lot of baby clothing and toys
  • Some interesting Turkish rugs or blankets with little Evil Eye glass beads sewn on - wish I had taken more time to investigate those! Back room, wall opposite the long clothing rack, top shelf.
Cons:
  • Hilariously inflated 'original price' handwritten tags (but does not seem to reflect on the current prices, which are reasonable, as stated!)
  • A little difficult to browse peacefully with such attentive and helpful sales staff (but like I said - really likeable ladies!)
  • Middle of nowhere location, unless you happen to be passing through (shop is reasonably close to the BP Station, Radikal discount store, and a COOP)
Tips:
  • Ignore the 'original price' tags!
  • One could probably very successfully haggle and come up with a reduced rate on a collection of items - owners are friendly and engaging

Please comment and let me know if you've discovered a new Brocki in your neck of the woods! I will happily review it and post it here (or you can review it, and I'll post it here for you!). :)

TiZ



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)