Thursday 14 January 2016

A North to South Brocki Binge in January

CARITAS K&K on Birmensdorferstrasse - always with the incredible displays!
Greetings, fellow thrifty peeps! It's been awhile, for which I apologise. I haven't been out to the thrift stores in quite a long time (although I always, always pop in when I'm passing by! That's a key to success!), and so with a rare day off in mid-January (a Wednesday), I went on somewhat of a spree.

As seen at Brockiland, Steinstrasse
I had planned on hitting up ALL of my favourite shops (time permitting), but even with a bit of a cheat (i.e. dropping off a framed print at the office so I could keep shopping!), I found I was overloaded and a little tired. 


The great Brocki binge du jour was a North - South romp through some of the biggest (and best!) brockis in Zuerich.

I had great success, and that's largely to do with timing: GO IN JANUARY! I've heard conflicting advice by other thrifters on this matter, but now I believe - post-Christmas is a gold mine, and probably for two main reasons:

1. People want to de-clutter post-Christmas, and
2. Everyone's sick of shopping and probably don't want to go out in the sleet and snow!

With that said, I'm hoping to go again later this month (but it will probably be on a Saturday, sigh. Ah well).

Also spotted at Brocki-Land, Steinstrasse

Here's the run-down of my latest trip. You're more than welcome to duplicate it! I've listed bus, train and tram numbers and closest spots, as well as lunch hours (affects CARITAS) in which the shops are closed. Enjoy!

Unfortunately, with my current work schedule, I'm unable to offer the "Come Thrift with Me" tour at this time. :( 

But hopefully you won't need me anyway. Here's the:

North - South Brocki Tour


Start: HIOB Affoltern
End: Brocki-Land Steinstrasse (downtown), or the CARITAS shops on Birmensdorferstrasse if you time their 13:00 - 14:00 lunch breaks poorly like I did!

09:00 HIOB

nearest transit hub / location: Zehntenhausplatz, Affoltern neighbourhood

 

Got there at opening (in the snow, urgh!) - was the only person there! After making my donations at the sales counter, I went and loaded up. 

 

There were all sorts of copper pots, pans, kettles and vats on display in the window, and the shelves in the crockery section were full of plates, cups, saucers, platters, bowls, etc. (even more full than Brockiland Steinstrasse - HIOB is definitely the first place to go for kitchen stuff!)


Purchase: Brown velvet (no, no definite sewing plans quite yet, but it was very nice!) and a great (cheaply made) mixing bowl in a lovely retro green. The bowl was 5 Fr. I think the velvet was 1 or 2. Note that prices here (i.e. for the bowl) are just ever so slightly higher, but still alright. The selection is worth the mark-up.



 
Purchase: a belt (3 Fr.) and the white planter (5 Fr.) at right.

HIOB is also great for books (and it's a nice place to browse for them), as well as larger mirrors and framed art. All of these things are downstairs. The toilet is also there (key at counter). I didn't have to pay or put in a deposit to use it, despite the signage.


Staff were very nice, letting me in a few minutes early, wrapping my breakables and offering me a free bag (which I declined - I came prepared!). Only real downside to HIOB was the clothing section; I've hit gold there before, but this time it seemed sparse (caveat: I didn't actually go through the clothing as thoroughly as I normally would. Time constraints!). 


Left a few things behind that I would have liked to own, but I think I ended up with the right stuff in the end. Overall, I remained impressed with HIOB - it's a nice, easy place to browse, and I always find something there. :)


Sadly, I left this little turquoise soup tureen behind. It was just serving ware, and since I have a small kitchen, I need stove-top to table-top stuff to maximize efficiency. :( It was the perfect colour and everything. Sigh.
I have a friend who would *love* to have his own wagon for medieval markets. Sadly, I couldn't think of an easy way to get it home on the bus and then up 3 flights of stairs. Tragic, really.
There was a good selection of fabrics at HIOB that day, too. (And weirdly, I also found plush purple velvet at Brocki-Land later. Did many people sew 3 Kings costumes for Christmas pageants?)


Caught bus number 32, 61 or 62 to Glaubtenstrasse to connect with the number 80 bus towards Oerlikon. You need to cross the intersection to reach the # 80 bus stop from where the # 32, 61 and 62 let off.
*Missed it - I spied the small and overflowing Wehntaler Brocki between Glaubtenstrasse and Einfangstrasse for the first time from the bus. Will have to hit it up next trip!* 

10:00ish Brockito

nearest transit stop (bus #80): Chaletweg (or Birchstrasse), in "Neu Oerlikon"

Way down there, at the red beam. Worth the walk from the bus stop at Binzmuhlestrasse!!!
Or tucked in here, if you walk in along Robert Maillart Strasse. I said it in an earlier post - there's a typo or two out there re: the address. It is most CERTAINLY at #12 (not #14). Don't get lost like I did originally!
*Sale Notice - Clothing and Accessories at 30% off at present!*

Brockito keeps getting better and better. I think part of what makes it great is its location: it's not obvious from the street, it's not in a major transport hub or downtown, and it's enormous. 

Check out that great, already stylin' bar cart, and the big green glass jug in the back, too!

Last time I went, they had lovely display 'rooms' set up (last time was a nursery with a towering and fabulous papier-mache giraffe that I probably should have considered buying). This time, it was a 'shabby-chic' decor area. And while I consider the shabby-chic trend dead and dying (a little late to the party, folks?), if that's what's selling, then that's what they should promote. And they did a lovely job of it.

The 'shabby chic' display area (well, part of it anyway. It's big!)

One other new set-up that I benefited from was a "new arrivals" clothing section at the front door (the one facing Robert Maillart Strasse, not the Binzmuhlestrasse entrance where the #80 bus runs), I scored the score of all scores (well, there were two I was super-excited about today. This is the first): a vintage camel coat that fits like a glove! 

Purchase: 35 Fr. camel coat at 30% off (so it cost 24.50)! :D There was a nice one at HIOB, too, but it was just too big and there was no way to fix that. I was sad, but then this happened! :D So thrilled! LOVE!

Also, the "Fundgrube" section, which I saved for last (urgh) had been totally rearranged and cleaned - it was actually lovely to browse in! And while I didn't find anything, there was a platter upstairs for 1 Fr. compared to 20 and 15 Fr. downstairs. It was a little less 'up market' than those in the dedicated kitchen wares section, but what a deal that is if you don't really care so much about the detailing (the platter was too small, otherwise I would have snapped it up). They had lovely purple and teal coloured glasses (I think they were Coke-issued?), and I really thought that there were enough nice-enough things to outfit student accomodations / dorms rather nicely. Last time I was there, it was a little scary in the 'Fundgrube' section.

The service at Brockito is always great - the ladies at the till go out of the way to make your live easier, and to push product (for example, telling me that all the clothing and accessories were 30% off while I was browsing it, and that there were specials on books as well). The one lady spent a good few minutes trying to find a bag to fit the framed print I purchased, but in the end we gave up and I just man-handled it to my office (nearby!) for temporary storage. If you have a home-base or work-space nearby, it's good to keep it in mind for temporary storage of bigger items (so you can continue your spree!). ;)

Purchase: these two. :) The wooden trivet was up in the sewing notions area...

The only thing I don't much like about Brockito is the young, male and foreign or otherwise-unemployable staff. SOME of them are CREEPY and will follow you around or just stare at you and whisper to their similarly creepy mates. Most of them are fine and will either not interact with you as they move objects and furniture through the store, or will say hello and be perfectly alright. The other (senior) male staff there are as nice and helpful (and welcoming!) as the ladies on the till, so I never feel 'unsafe' there. Just something to mention if you're a little nervous on that front. Go in the daylight (and again, go in the MORNING, as is always the thrifting maxim!). I aim to make thrifting as accessible and comfortable for anyone reading my blog, and I hope this info (opinion!) helps rather than hinders. :)

Purchase: I can't believe this was only 15 Fr. It solves a lot of decor problems for not a lot of money! Really pleased, and, of course, loving the subject matter.

But don't miss Brockito for any reason. I really, truly think that this is currently the best overall Brocki in the city at the present moment. HIOB's pretty good, but it's full of old men shoppers who desperately want (need?) a chat with you, and the odd hoarder who will try to scoop you on anything (ran into 2 such ladies there). These sorts are what you have to expect while thrifting, but they're almost ABSENT at Brockito, which in itself is worth seeing!
Another example of brand-new goods donated to Brockito by area retailers. Nice!!!
Brockito's got major style, and they know what looks good and put it out front to show it off. It's a hole-in-one even for people who absolutely suck at thrifting! If you feel that description fits you, hop on the #80 today and get yourself to Brockito. It's a guaranteed confidence booster (well, as guaranteed as any thrifting trip can be, I suppose!). It also has lots of new stuff, donated from shops around the area. And it sells new towels and bedding, too, as well as stylish handicrafts (some of which are quite cool; link to paper and textile goods here, and structural pieces here). They had cute little concrete bowls with gold interiors for sale yesterday. 


Purchase: the skirt hanger (and 4 others) for displaying my (eek, wrinkly!) vintage tea towels.

Took the 80 to Oerlikon to catch the S8 to Wiedikon.... but I missed it (runs every half hour on the hour, from Gleis 1 yesterday), so I made a pit-stop for lunch.

If you're repeating this thrifting path, there is also CARITAS Oerlikon to check out, if you're not in need of lunch and a toilet break. But beware that they close for lunch between 13:00 and 14:00. I always find the Oerlikon location to be overpriced and unfriendly, so I skipped it. It may have improved since. I'll try to go in the next few months and give you an update.

Caught the S8 to Wiedikon from Oerlikon (Gleis 1, through the station house for access during construction) and walked the short distance to CARITAS Kleider Netto.

12:45ish CARITAS Kleider NETTO *New Location!*

Swapped locations with the 'expensive' CARITAS Kleider - now at Birmensdorferstr. 52. Closest tram stop: Werd, trams 9 and 14, or a short walk from Bahnhof Wiedikon.
 
Note new location as of 1 January!

Unfortunately, due to poor timing, I arrived in Kleider Netto with just a few minutes before their lunch break (the music turned off during a favourite song I hadn't heard in ages before I clued in!). I had planned on visiting Netto first, then either the upscale Kleider shop or Kunst & Krempel afterwards, but all three CARITAS shops on Birmensdorferstrasse take lunch breaks from 13:00 to 14:00. Boo.

Purchase: 3 Fr. scarf. Wore it today. Snuggly and awesome - thanks for donating it, anonymous pal! :)

I snagged a 3 Fr. knitted Nordic-style infinity muffler/scarf that I loved before they closed. Please note that they now charge for bags - 0.50 for large ones, 0.20 for small (at both Kleider locations on Birmensdorferstrasse).


Drat, damn and blast. Hopped on tram 9 or 14 to Schmiede Wiedikon, then caught either the 72 or the 76 bus to Manesseplatz for Brocki-Land Steinstrasse (NO Lunch Breaks taken!). Note that you have to cross the tram tracks to catch the bus at the triangular intersection just ahead of you. I had to jog to make the connection. Go to the front of the tram, carefully cross in front of it, and then follow the sidewalk in the same direction to the next road. Bus stop on your left, heading in almost the opposite direction of the tram you took to arrive here.

13:00 Brocki-Land Steinstrasse

Closest bus stop: Manesseplatz (buses 72 and 76), Not close to anything else that I know well enough to reference. Kind of on the edge of town, really, by the autobahn.
 

Ah, Brocki-Land. I hate it. And yet I keep going back. Yesterday was particularly bad. I even yelled at someone when the person overpowered the restocker and started grabbing from the cart (I really wanted to help the restocker. She was outnumbered and it sickened me that they swarmed her like that). It was a mess in there. At the risk of sounding like a very bad and judgmental person, all the CRAZIES were out that day. And I mean glasses askew, fur-hat and ski-goggle wearing types. People were caching things like squirrels (I came across a great pair of two-tone blue wing-tip detail mary janes and an orange belt that had been hidden in an unrelated box, at the bottom), and I had people trying to scoop me on anything I reached for. It was extra ugly. I tried to have sympathy and compassion, but I didn't do too well. 

The shelves were completely empty in many places.

I didn't find all of what I was looking for, but I found a few things I liked enough to buy in the end. I was glad to leave the place. For some reason (a recent sale?), the shelves were BARE in the kitchen ware department. And the small textiles in the upstairs loft were few and far between. In fact, it felt a little empty in there overall. 

Purchase: Ikea scarf organizer. I wanted one of these (new), but couldn't justify the 20 Fr. price tag at the time. Today, I found two. I think this cost me between 1 and 2 Fr. at Brocki-Land. The other was at CARITAS K&K and would undoubtedly cost 5 to 8 times more... no joke. It's working miracles in my wardrobe at present!
Purchase: turned wood bowl, for a "medieval feast" we're planning with friends. This is definitely the place to go for wooden bowls, and by far the least expensive!
Purchase: Platter. I dropped my nice one (thrifted, too!) at Christmas while trying to carry the turkey and too many other things. It was sad. It's not as big as the one I'm trying to replace, but I like it. Some of the platters at HIOB and Brockito were 20 Fr. (not exaggerating). I think I paid 2 to 3 for this. Brocki-Land's great when you find something. It's finding something that's the tricky bit (crazies, junk, lots of competition, etc.).
Purchase: all of the above. Not bad for 15.-!

So there's the headline for the day: check out the CHARITY Brocki's after Christmas. Don't go out of your way to Brocki-Land. They weren't teeming with donations, and the shelves were, well, unusually bare across the board.

This sculpture, with the Brocki-Land entrance in the background, sums up how I feel about shopping here. It's wild.

Back on the 72 or 76 to Schmiede Wiedikon, and a return to the CARITAS shops on Birmensdorferstrasse via tram 9 or 14 to Bahnhof Wiedikon or Werd (between the two).


14:15ish CARITAS K&K

Birmensdorferstrasse 53, near the COOP. Closest tram stop: Werd, trams 9 and 14, or a short walk from Bahnhof Wiedikon.
 
K&K is at right (see "CARITAS" sign past Ruedi Bergsport), Netto is across the street (left), and the 'designer' Kleider shop is at the base of the yellow building in the background, left side of the street.

Well, the staff here have gotten MUCH more cheerful! :D Really, a resounding difference! It used to be miserable going in there, but everyone was cheerful and friendly and helpful.



I like this shop. They repainted the spiral staircase, and the downstairs looks great.

Valentine's day is coming up! And I spied an on-theme and adorable set. Girl's night to lament the holiday? Or a drinking game with a partner (lots of shots to be had!). :)

What I DON'T like about this shop are the prices. Now sometimes, you can get a good deal on a high quality, lovely gift-able item here. And this is leaning towards more of an 'antique' dealership than a brocki, which makes shopping here NICE (if you hate grime and smells and dirty stuff, come here! It's lovely!).


But take for example a laminated wooden platter. I have virtually the same one at home (I took a photo so you can see). I paid, what, 1 Fr. for it at Brockiland Fahrweid. Here, it cost 28 Fr. Twenty-eight! :O I'm not sure it's worth that much, even! 15 I could see, but nearly 30?! Well, all the money goes to charity, so I suppose that's not a bad thing.

Price Check: My tray at home (cost about 1 Frank from Brocki-Land last year), versus the slightly (not much) larger one, same design and condition, at CARITAS K&K - 28 Fr.! Remember this lesson, folks! You should always shop around and make sure you're getting the best deal! :) That's a 28 TIMES INFLATION!

Still, if you want cheap but awesome stuff, make sure you visit another shop in addition to K&K. But come here if you're looking for a nice thrifted gift - the selection is good and the window displays inspiring. It only takes 10 minutes to see the entirety of this shop, too. ;) 

The downstairs has never looked better, barring the gnomes...
Seriously, why?! Hard to see on a dark and snowy day (it was only about 14:30!), but they're there - watching you shop. Creepy.

I left empty-handed this time. I blame the gnomes.

Across the street, this time to CARITAS Kleider (designer/non-Netto).


14:30 CARITAS Kleider (the expensive one)

Swapped locations with the cheap CARITAS Kleider Netto - now at Birmensdorferstr. 38. Closest tram stop: Werd, trams 9 and 14, or a short walk from Bahnhof Wiedikon.
 
The 'expensive' Kleider shop is at the corner of the yellow building.

I really think a swap of these two shops sales space was brilliant. Kleider Netto was WAY too cramped before. This was a stroke of genius. :)

Prices here are like those at K&K. They keep them high, and there's no negotiating. I heard someone else turned down on request of a discount, and I didn't get one either for a (mendable, easily, granted) tear in a hem.

While they have D&G jeans and a 560.- Prada jacket (covered in flowers - I hate it!), they also still have H&M dresses and Zara tops. So it's NOT all designer, and it's the same distinctions they made before. I suspect that stock that doesn't sell here winds up at Netto, as I suspect happened before.

Purchase: my Hercule-Poirot-on-vacation-in-Rhodes summoning tunic-thingy. I don't know - it made me feel beachy and sophisticated all at once, and I simply had to have it, torn hem and all. It just reminded me of glamorous Mediterranean vacations in the 1930s. It makes me happy. Also, made in France and sweat-shop free! 30 Fr.

It was alright. I fell in love with a silk Kookai beach cover-up thingy and brought it home, despite it being January and all. I was happy. This was favourite purchase #2. :)



End of the Tour!


I had planned on hitting up the Heils-Armee shop at Hardbruecke, but I was too tired and too over-laden. So that will have to form part of my East - West Tour (coming soon, I hope!). :)


I'm hoping you won't notice that I didn't iron this, but this is another of my vintage tea towels on display with a bright red skirt hanger from Brockito. I like finding thrifted solutions to displaying thrifted items. :) 'Til next time!
See you later!
TiZ

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Your blog is super useful and a great resource, so thank you for making it! I really liked the overview of all the stores, which was super helpful for planning my first trip out. (And for pointing out Brockito ... it's so close and I didn't even know it was there!). Alles beste from a fellow Canadian :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)