Friday 18 July 2014

Come Thrift With Me! For Free!


I got the idea from Thrift Diva, a woman who operates "Thrift Crawls" by bus tour in San Diego, USA. But it turns out she's not the only offering this service - The Dress Fiend also offers bus tours of thrift shops in Sacramento, USA (both in California - so next time you're on vacation there....!).

While it's tempting for me to get paid to take others thrifting like these ladies do, I'm not even going to attempt it.

So I'm going to offer a FREE TOUR of Zürich's thrift shops, using the ZVV transport network, to you! :)

Now I know from my stats that my blog isn't getting a lot of hits. I'm hoping that will change! And when it does, and you stumble upon this page and think, "Oooh! A free thrifting tour in Zürich! I should totally take her up on that!", then PLEASE COMMENT BELOW and let me know that you are interested!

There are three 'genres' of thrifting tours that I can offer, off the top of my head. But please suggest a custom tour if another option springs to mind!

  • FASHION TOUR: Hitting up stores with a focus on fashion and vintage clothing (a tentative hit-list might include several CARITAS locations, the Heilsarmee at Hardbrücke, a lesser-known store like Berta, Blenda or Famos, and perhaps Arche Brockenhaus or Brockiland)
  • THE THRIFTED HOME: With a focus on non-fashion articles, I'd suggest CARITAS k&k, Arche, HIOB, TIGEL, and of course Brockiland. There could even be a Hardbrücke-centric tour, hitting up the various thrifted furniture shops (Bogen 33, Walter, etc.), the Heilsarmee, and even the CARITAS, where some of the display furniture is also for sale.
  • OFF THE BEATEN TRACK: Come and find the lesser-known, smaller secondhand gems around the city (many of which I have yet to review!), with shops like Berta, Blenda, Fifties Plus, Famos, Fizzen, and small, privately-owned Brockenstuben in the city.

I could even do "neighbourhood"-themed tours (i.e. Seefeld, Dietikon, Werd, Hardbrücke, downtown, etc.). Or price-range tours - for the 'flat broke' and for the 'well-padded', we could hit up stores that are likely to appeal to your budget! Let me just say that most of my experience tends towards the 'bargain'-end of the spectrum. ;)

Looking for something in particular? I can't guarantee that I can help you find it, but I can recommend some likely locations, and I can go with you to provide a second set of eyes (experienced thrifting eyes, to be precise!).

What's Included?
  • Tips, tricks and strategies prior to entering the store in question
  • Some factual or background information on the various thrift shops
  • Demonstrations on how to spot a quality item, danger signs in a potential purchase, a seasoned veteran's opinion on prices (comparative for other thrift shops in the city), examples of good 'staples' that should always be considered, amusing anecdotes and much more! 
  • Good company and moral support while thrifting! And an extra set of arms to hold hangers, etc. ;)

Interested? Let me know! :) Might be a fun 'girl's day out' or an unusual birthday party idea.

The fine print, so far: I reserve the right to cancel, without notice and for any reason during and before any tour. I probably won't, but I would like an 'out' in case you as the interested party turn out to be a creepy stalker or an internet predator. ;) Or even if I should eat a dodgy kebap and get the runs - I don't want to have to be promoting Immodium for free all day. ;) I was thinking we could meet in a public place (i.e. a tram stop) and use public transit to get around during daylight hours, etc. Weekdays are a possibility, but Saturdays are also possible. We can go for a few hours, or just a few stores, or we could do a proper 'thrift crawl' - let's discuss. I can't be held responsible for your safety or satisfaction or anything at all, really, but I'm happy to show you my hunting grounds, give you a few tips, and share my thrifting knowledge in general for your enjoyment. I'm also not paying for your purchases - that's on you! ;) Please feel free to bring a friend, maybe two, but lets keep the group to 4 or less for now. If it's a birthday party for a bigger group, then contact me - we can work something out!

Who knows - maybe my free tours will be so successful that people will start paying me to run them! ;) But I doubt it.

TiZ

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I just moved to Zurich from Toronto last week and I would LOVE a thrifting tour. This site is awesome, I never thought I'd find so much up-to-date info on thrifting in English (I speak no German, yikes)! If your offer still stands I would be most grateful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keah!

      Another Canadian is interested in a Brocki-tour! Let's set something up! :)

      Any specific interests, or a general tour alright with you? :)

      TiZ

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Deleted to protect the email address from bots!). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I am late to the party but since I am a student I am broke all the time buuut love fashio. So thrifting is a great idea for me...so I think its a great idea. I would be interested

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)