Saturday 5 July 2014

The True Cost of Fashion & Shop the Closet


Just in case you haven't seen it yet. :)

While I feel a little guilty in my consumerism - the desire to construct the 'perfect' outfit and amass more and more 'pieces' (Why do I do this?! Why do I care?) - I am happy to report that my wardrobe, as of my time in Switzerland, is 90-95% thrifted. It's not a solution, but I can sleep a little easier at night as a result.

I suppose it really would be better to not need so many clothes to begin with. Ah well. That one might be harder to tackle.

When I feel I've got too much already, I "SHOP THE CLOSET":

Shop the Closet: running inventory on items you already own and putting together new outfits with existing pieces. (Also a good time to purge the closet - if it doesn't work with anything, or you don't love it anymore, or if it's an awkward gift that you've done your due diligence with but still don't want, it's got to go! Donate to the local charity shop!.... Also another excuse to return to the thrift store! Sneaky, no?).

Another option is 'reinvention' - can you make it into something else?  Check out this link for how-to refashion inspiration!

A good tip for that blazer that mostly fits but isn't tailored/fitted enough to your waist can be found here (I like this one!).
 
Of course, saying this I bought another top yesterday (from Arche Brockenhaus) and will be doing a full review on the shop to expand my existing material on it. I'm really excited about the top - it's black and white polka dots with a black Peter Pan collar, and I rather suspect it's going to kick ass with a midi/tea-length burgundy skirt I snatched from Brockiland!

Since it's a rainy, awful Saturday, I think I might spend it 'Shopping the Closet'! Can I encourage you to do the same? If you're more social than I am, why not brew up some tea, put out a plate of cookies and bring a friend in to help you out. While you're at it, you can scheme up a clothing swap with your other friends...!

All the best, thrifty hearts!

TiZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)