Thursday 6 August 2015

Mittelalter (Medieval) Thrifting aus Zweiterhand - some tips!

Time for a confession: I have been catapulted into the modern middle ages by a similarly smitten friend, and we've been attending virtually every Mittelalterfest, Ritterturnier, Markt and Spektakulum going this summer.

15.-, including a non-period table runner I excluded from the photo (source: Remar Brockenhaus in Altstetten)

And while I'm gleefully perusing the 'medieval wares' at the festivals, I'm always thinking:



"Could I find this at a Brocki?"


or,


"Could I make this with materials found at a Brocki?"


First of all, I have dreams of opening my own "period" travelling-Brocki, and hitting up every Mittelalterfest going. But they are just that - dreams. Probably would end up costing me more than I would make. Drat. Anyone have any capital they want to invest (i.e. waste utterly)? We should talk.. ;)

But seriously, a second-hand trading post of sorts would just be fantastic. There's a lot of good stuff floating around in Brockis in Switzerland, just dying to get incorporated into someone's camp or home. True, 99.9% of it isn't authentic, but virtually nothing at those medieval markets are when you really get down to brass tacks (or synthetic fibres). ;)

Look at some of the stuff I found TODAY in just a single Brocki (Remar):

With a few tools, you could make all of your friends handmade Trinkhörner!
With some different fabric (or pelt), this would be a very princely chair...
Or you could just buy this one (for 280.-, though!) at Remar and be ready to rock!

I already kitted up our place (and our neighbour's places) for an epic Hallowe'en party last year with stuff sourced from the Brocki (mostly Brockiland, in that case). And a few things transfer over to the latest obsession: rustic wooden lanterns, wrought iron gothic-looking candleholders, parts of dead animals, etc.

It is possible to find useful items for medieval and renaissance re-enactments or parties at the brocki. I also saw a perfect (plain) straw hat at Remar, and I bought a very useful straw bag from Brockiland Fahrweid which I use on a daily basis, too. 

All of our medieval costumes that I've sewn were made from thrifted material (two men's shirts, two surcoats (waffenrock), a heavy-weight cotton carrying sack, small sacks, and a fully lined kirtle). Literally all of it, with the exception of the embroidery floss to do the Wappen (Crest) on the front, though if I would have been more flexible with colours, I probably could have thrifted that, too. I did buy 100% cotton thread on wooden spools, though!

Want "Mittelalter- inspired goodies"? Here are my helpful tips:

Before you buy it at the Mittelaltermarkt, or online, search for these fairly-commonly found items at your local brocki first!!!
  1. Turned wooden bowls and wooden utensils (holzschale und holzbesteck). I bought 3 for less than 0.50 a piece from Brockiland downtown. Also a carved wooden spoon with a Swedish horse on the handle.
  2. Pottery, particularly cups and vessels, with simple glazes (tonwaren)
  3. Stained glass window hangings (lots at Brockiland downtown; farbiges Glas)
  4. Iron (or iron-like) candleholders, chandeliers, boot scrapers, etc. (eisenwaren)
  5. Fabric - 100% cotton, linen (or linen-like/blend), natural fibres, and solid colours (no patterns). Check the curtain section, bed sheet area (wool blankets!!!), tablecloths... (natürlichen Stoff, aus verschiedenen Quellen). Once I found an off-white, pure cotton tablecloth embroidered in olive green with scrolls and leaves. It's perfect - we use it as a picnic blanket!
  6. Leather and leather scraps. I made off like a bandit at Brockiland Fahrweid once. Now my friend is gleefully constructing horn-holders and the like in his workshop, almost for free! They had small animal pelts for sale at Remar today (I don't like it so much, so I didn't look closely enough to say more. Something black and white - rabbit, or something. I'm not big on animal cruelty - please try to minimize the fur market as best you can! It's a nasty business of caged animals in poor conditions, much of the time...). (Leder)
  7. Wood-burning tools and wood-working tools (for engraving horns, or, you know, burning wood...) (holzverbrennungwerkzeuge, holzbearbeitungswerkzeuge)
  8. Antlers, skulls, horns, and various other "Jäger" goods - they can be recycled/reused/repurposed, and it doesn't mean the life of another animal this way! (Geweihe, Schädel und Hörner). Don't forget cowhides (Ikea sells them - you can be sure they can be found secondhand! I've seen them!) - (kuhfell)
  9. Simple leather shoes and sandals (schuhe und sandalen aus leder)
  10. Chairs, like the ones pictured above. Folding ones are even more useful - and you can always refinish and refurbish to change the colour and the fabric/leather! (Stühle)  
  11. Baskets. Simple, willow or other woven wooden or rush baskets haven't changed much since they were first invented! (Körbe)
  12. Beeswax candles. Don't forget - you can scrape off exterior decorations (or melt them!) if you don't like the outside print. (Bienenwachskerzen). I've even seen oil-lamps..
If you see any old wooden barrels, would you tell me? I'm also in the market for a long, wooden bench, too. These are far less common, unfortunately! 

I have even seen those hand-carved wooden shoes at Brockiland (downtown), only they only had the one... sad. 
  
We'll see what the future holds, but one day I'd love to team up with Mirimor.ch or someone and start an online used "Mittelaltermarkt". What say you? :)

Be thou ever thrifty, ye goode folk!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)