Thursday 22 May 2014

The First Post: A Summary

When I confirmed that I'd be relocating to the wonderful city of Zürich, I did what research struck me as most prudent: finding out what the thrift store and second-hand boutique scene would be like.

Alright, truthfully I first looked into the numbers and the finances and the cost of living and that sort of thing. That really did seem the most prudent.

After I had a minor coronary event in response to the dizzying 'cost of living' analyses, I had the following thoughts:
  1. Rather than continue with the current panic attack, why don't I dwell on something a little less serious and daunting.... something light....
  2. Oooh, I wonder if the high cost of living and all those rich bankers makes for awesome thrifting! Let's look!
The good news was that my suspicions about the second-hand scene in Zürich were accurate - the thrifting here is better than I've ever experienced elsewhere (alright, a couple of Canadian cities is the limit of my scope!). 

The bad news was that it was hard to know where to go and what to expect before I moved here and settled in. There were very few sites dedicated to the topic (directories like "NichtNeu" which seemed fantastic at first but quickly proved to be out-of-date and inaccurate), and just a smattering of blog posts on the subject here and there. Juanita Tortilla was my favourite - but she moved state-side recently. Boo. 

This video made me so unbearably excited to go thrifting in Switzerland, specifically in the seemingly-mythical Brocki-Land  
(Thank you, fellow Canuck "Karflooie", for all of your awesome videos that made the pending translocation an exciting one!)

Despite these few 'hits', there was no really rich vein of thrift store lore to go data-mining in.

After about 8 months of living here, I felt as though perhaps it was time to 'give back' and to offer up the blog I wish I could have found 9 months previously. I'm sure this blog would fail my own high expectations on the 'ideal' Brocki- reference, but here I go on regardless.  

While I won't promise to make the definitive guide to "Thrifting in Zürich", I will attempt to inspire and inform you, dear reader, on what's on offer.... and of course, what I managed to snag. ;) What's a thrift blog without some bragging, right?! :)

There's so much great stuff out there - wishing you Happy Hunting in the meantime! 

TiZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)